Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Sewing While Renovating

My sewing has come to a standstill thanks to dust, displaced clothing, and random furniture!

I bought my house in 2002 - it's a Cape Cod Bungalow built in 1943. Every year, I've done some updating; some minor (painting) and some not-to-minor (adding and moving kitchen cabinets). But last week, I began my most extensive renovation...gutting most of the second floor to expand the master bedroom.

The original room was about 15' x 10' - tucked into the sloped roof; in the hallway, the dormer ceiling was low...6'5". It was claustrophobic. I wanted to duck whenever I stepped on the top stair.

I worked with my contractor on finalizing a design that I had envisioned since I moved in. Move the knee-wall back, move the door, raise the ceiling, and expand the hall closet.

This is what it looks like after week one! The room is HUGE - 16' x 15' !! 

But that insulation? It's everywhere. Even with plastic sheets covering the doors. My daily routine is this: get home from work. Remove coat. Swiffer. Change Swiffer pad. Repeat. Repeat. Vacuum. Dust. Change water in cats' water bowl. 

The other consequence of renovating a 72 year old home? Lots of vintage ceiling lights (that I'm replacing with recessed LED lights). According to my contractor, these all need to be rewired. One was so bad, that they clipped the wires so no one could hang it.

Isn't that blue on dreamy? The one next to it is identical, but pink! Too bad I don't need them. When I get a chance, I will probably sell them to someone who appreciates their unique qualities!

Around this time, I'm usually dreaming up Christmas gift ideas - something that I can make. Not now. But I can handle that!

5 comments:

  1. Sewing is very important to know and this is good that you know about the sewing. Great work and great motivation for many of us too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you are sharing helpful topics, keep such update and share best ideas over to all and me so I very happy with this. GoMovies

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...